Rewrite the Rules
These links are to Ted Turner's interview on Oprah Winfrey's Master Class series. (He is the innovative person who started up CNN, the first 24 hour news channel.)
The link is not allowing embedding so here they are.
On Youtube, at 4.5 minutes in, "Rewrite the Rules":
On his website:
Fulltext coming soon - I love this clip of Ted Turner's thoughts. Especially from 4.5 minutes in - about looking after planet Earth.
i.e. He doesn't poison insects on his lands: "When you kill insects, you are damaging the ecosystem very badly." He has allowed natural predators to move back in, and on his extensive lands is allowing it to be natural again.
He feels as I felt, sadness about losing all the buffalo - when he found out - as I did. He is a thinker. I feel like we are very similar souls.
Here are his 10 Voluntary initiatives, "a new set of rules to play by" to replace the 10 Commandments.
1. I promise to care for planet earth and all living things thereon, especially my fellow human beings
2. I promise to treat all persons everywhere with dignity, respect and friendliness
3. I promise to have no more than one or two children
4. I promise to use my best efforts to help save what is left of our natural world in its undisturbed state and to restore degraded areas
5. I promise to use as little of our non-renewable resources as possible
6. I promise to minimize my use of toxic chemicals, pesticides and other poisons and to encourage others to do the same
7. I promise to contribute to those less fortunate, to help them become self-sufficient and enjoy the benefits of a decent life including clean air, and water, adequate food, health care, housing, education and individual rights
8. I reject the use of force, in particular military force, and I support United Nations arbitration of international disputes
9. I support doing everything we can to reduce the dangers from nuclear biological or chemical weapons and ultimately the elimination of all weapons of mass destruction
10. I support the United Nations and its efforts to improve the conditions of the planet
11. I support clean renewable energy and a rapid move to eliminate carbon emissions